Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: -NP ignored when running as root

From: Mike Calmus <mcalmus () nyx net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:22:04 -0400

At 5:30 PM -0600 7/16/09, David Fifield wrote:
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 06:58:51PM -0400, Mike Calmus wrote:
I just downloaded and built nmap 5.0 on MacOSX 10.5.7. When I run a simple scan on a Windows 7 box it seems to ignore the -NP setting when I
 run as root. It works fine when I run as an unprivileged user:

 bash-3.2$ sudo nmap -PN -A -v 192.168.1.190

 Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-07-16 18:48 EDT
 NSE: Loaded 30 scripts for scanning.
 Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 18:48
 Scanning 192.168.1.190 [1 port]
 Completed ARP Ping Scan at 18:48, 0.22s elapsed (1 total hosts)
 Read data files from: /usr/local/share/nmap
 Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.54 seconds
            Raw packets sent: 2 (84B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)

Hi, please try running again as root, this time with the --send-ip
option. That will disable the ARP ping. If that works, then there is
something wrong with the way ARP ping work against Windows 7 and
possibly Solaris 10.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0176.html

That was caused by Solaris sending back ARP replies to the broadcast
Ethernet address. If --send-ip works for you, please let us know. If you
could get a packet capture of the ARP traffic, that would be very
helpful.

Please let us know, because this is something that can be fixed with a
little more information.

David Fifield

Using the --send-ip option does seem to work. I won't be able to get a packet capture until later, though. I will forward that along as soon as I can.