Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE Nsock Binding Performance Results and Improvements

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:39:04 -0600

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Patrick Donnelly<batrick () batbytes com> wrote:
Attached is a PDF of the report.

Here is a summary of the report:

We conducted tests for three different script sets across two machines
with manually set parallelism values ranging from 10 to 100 (the
current default parallelism being 10). Graphs of numerous concurrently
running script threads (up to 900) consistently formed an exponential
decay regression for script scan time. One running script
(html-title.nse) would usually see a constant flat improvement across
the range of parallelisms (that is, no change in total scan time). The
timings for the scans showed that a parallelism of 40 got the most
benefit for each increase in parallelism.

Due to our results, we changed the parallelism value to 40 to get
increased performance by default out of NSE (revision 14264).

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"Let all men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely
ford that see the shallows."

- Benjamin Franklin