Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap DTD and XML

From: "Luis A. Bastiao Silva" <luis.kop () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:20:03 +0100

Hi List,

I was wondering about Nmap DTD[1] and checking Nmap XML output and make some
validation based on DTD file.

I checked some files and it doesn't pass. Is it normal?

For example:

<!ELEMENT trace (hop*, error?) >
<!ATTLIST trace
      proto   CDATA   #REQUIRED
      port    CDATA   #REQUIRED

In this case (trace) proto is mandatory ? For example try do something like
that:
nmap -PN -p80 --traceroute scanme.nmap.org -oX file.xml

I got something like that:
<trace port="80" >
<hop ttl="1" rtt="0.00" ipaddr="192.168.1.1"/>
</trace>

Or REQUIRED doesn't mean mandatory in DTD format? At least in w3 [2] they
said that value should be present. So "proto" is not required, right?

Is there something wrong with DTD? Is it outdated?

Let me know if it is really a problem or my misunderstood.

Thanks for your attention!

[1] - http://nmap.org/svn/docs/nmap.dtd
[2] - http://www.w3schools.com/DTD/dtd_attributes.asp

Best Regards,