Nmap Development mailing list archives

NSE: comm.lua - Question about if a socket is connected over SSL

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 19:28:23 -0500

I have a question about NSE sockets connecting to ports over SSL.
I see that comm.tryssl will dynamically connect to a port using SSL
as appropriate.

socket, response, correctOpt, earlyResp = comm.tryssl(host,port,data,opts)

Am I correct in understanding that the correctOpt return variable will
contain the information as to if a SSL tunnel was established?  If I
read correctly this should contain one of tcp, ssl or none?

Also, while reading the documentation [1] for this I see the following
as the parameters to comm.tryssl

        tryssl (host, port, data, opts, sslservice)

in the current version of comm.lua I see that it only accepts the following
parameters
        tryssl (host, port, data, opts)

I am not sure if this code has changed since the docs were last published
the web, but the in-code (comm.lua) docs match what is on the web, not what
is in the comm.lua code.  Thoughts?

Thanks much,

Tom

[1]     http://nmap.org/nsedoc/lib/comm.html#tryssl