Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ncrack config dir patches

From: Jay Fink <jay.fink () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:13:56 -0400

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:

Thanks Steve!  I'm glad to see more people using Ncrack.  But does
ncrack-services really need to be in /etc/ rather than the Ncrack data
dir?  I have the Fedora Nmap package installed
(nmap-5.00-1.fc11.x86_64) and it installs nmap-services in
/usr/share/nmap.  That is consistent with what Ncrack is trying to do
with ncrack-services.  My Fedora 11 /usr/share contains several
hundred application-specific directories like this.

Typically shared _data_ goes in ~/share and configurations into ~/etc
or $HOME/.*rc.
It doesn't make sense to me that ncrack data should go in any ~/etc.

Regarding changes like this:

 directory for real and effective UIDs (POSIX systems only) or location of the Ncrack executable (Win32 only), and
then a compiled\-in location such as
-/usr/local/share/ncrack
+/usr/share/ncrack

Perhaps we can try to modify it to work in both cases
(e.g. "compiled-in location such as /usr/local/share/ncrack or
/usr/share/ncrack") so that Fedora doesn't have to carry an extra
patch which might get messed up and require hand merging when we make
significant changes to the docs.

If there is a configure option would the default stay as is?
That would be my preference.

thx,