Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: 4.90RC1 doesn't compile on FreeBSD

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:15:56 -0700

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 12:10:30AM -0400, Chris Buechler wrote:
On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Kris Katterjohn<katterjohn () gmail com> wrote:

I'm not a *BSD user, but I think you have to use gmake instead of make in this
instance.

Ah yeah, didn't think about that. It works with gmake. It does have
one complaint:
Makefile:312: makefile.dep: No such file or directory

We should really look into how hard it would be to make our Makefiles
BSD-compatible for the parts necessary to do a simple Nmap build, or
at least to print out a useful error message explaining the problem.
For example, we could have a BSD-style Makefile which just calls gmake
with our Makefile (if it exists) and prints an error message asking
the user to install gmake if it doesn't exist.

Our configure script already mentions gmake at the end, but obviously
some people don't notice this and the errors you get with BSD make
(http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q2/0788.html) are confusing.

Anyone (BSD users?) want to take a shot at this?  I'll add an item to
the Nmap TODO.

Cheers,
-F