Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap / Mac OS X / VMWare Fusion Questions

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:12:27 -0600

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 01:13:22AM -0500, Lance Spitzner wrote:
Oh great and wise Nmap developers, a most humble question.

On a Macbook I am running VMware Fusion.  I have several Guest OS images
on the Macbook, all in Host Only networking mode.  When I attempt to scan
the VM images from the Mac Host Nmap says it cannot see the VMware
interfaces.  See Nmap error message below.  Remember, Host Only
networking uses the vmnet1 interface, so I'm trying to scan from the Mac
Host OS several VM images on vmnet1.

Macbook $sudo nmap --iflist
Password:

Starting Nmap 4.85BETA9 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-06-09 01:07 CDT
Warning: Unable to open interface vmnet8 -- skipping it.
Warning: Unable to open interface vmnet1 -- skipping it.
************************INTERFACES************************
DEV (SHORT) IP/MASK          TYPE     UP MAC
lo0 (lo0)   127.0.0.1/8      loopback up
en1 (en1)   192.168.1.118/24 ethernet up 00:25:00:47:8a:C2

My research indicates that packet capturing on VMware Fusion interfaces
isn't supported (by VMware) at all.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/693833#693833
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/130587

Can you use tcpdump on the VMware addresses? If not, then Nmap won't
work either. You can try running with the --unprivileged option to do a
scan that won't require the unsupported bpf devices.

David Fifield