Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap on mac os x

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:09:00 -0600

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:31:33AM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 05:05:47PM -0400, Christopher Caldwell wrote:
zenmap 4.8.5BETA10 - the display hangs after scan as you move between
tabs.

Nmap output finishes.
Move to Ports / Hosts works fine.
Subsequently, display is locked/hung.  You can't move between tabs.

4.8.5BETA10
I verified problem on:
Mac OS X 10.4.1
Mac OS X 10.5.7

4.8.5BETA9 works fine on both platforms.

Thanks very much. Josh Marlow verified this. I initially couldn't
reproduce it, but I can if I move my development MacPorts directory out
of the way. I'll work on fixing it.

I've tracked this down to GTK+ not being able to auto-detect the image
file types of the icons used by Zenmap. If I rename the directory
/opt/local-universal-10.4/share/mime from my MacPorts development tree,
I get the described hang.

At first I thought the problem was this change in GTK+ 2.14.7, which
remove filenames from consideration in guessing file types.
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gtk%2B/tags/GTK_2_14_7/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-io.c?r1=21452&r2=22074
But 4.85BETA9 shipped with GTK+ 2.4.17, so I don't think that was it.

Rather I think it was this change in the glib2 port a couple of months
ago.
http://trac.macports.org/ticket/19263
That made file type guessing work in Glib, which incidentally required
the share/mime database. GTK+ detected that Glib could detect file
types, and disabled its own type guesser. The end result was that type
guessing is broken unless you have the MIME database installed in the
exact place it is on my development machine,
/opt/local-universal-10.4/share/mime.

I have verified that the problem goes away if I embed the MIME database
inside the application bundle and set XDG_DATA_DIRS properly in
zenmap_wrapper.py. But the database is about 3.6 MB, so I'm going to try
rebuilding without a dependency on it.

David Fifield