Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Child Coroutine Patch with Explanation

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:57:36 -0700

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 05:46:53PM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
This thread attempts to answer a problem that came up on the NSE IRC
meeting. We are attempting to solve the issue of a script using
coroutines that make blocking calls on network objects. This e-mail
attempts to give a detailed overview of the problem, some potential
solutions, and example use cases for a proposed solution.

Hi Patrick.  Thanks for the detailed write up.  Regarding the
nse.new_thread proposal ... what would be your recommendation for
communicating status and data between the worker threads or between
them and the parent?  Am I correct that, at the low levels, they won't
actually be running concurrently even on multi-processor or multi-core
systems?  So can they safely share global variables without needing
any sort of synchronization primitives?  And for the cases where they
do need synchronization, can the threads individually use our mutexes?
Also, does the new_thread proposal depend on the nse_yield patch, or
are they independent issues?

Cheers,
-F