Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: NSE output verbosity (p2p-conficker)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 14:32:32 -0700

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 04:23:31PM -0500, Ron wrote:

Perfect, those changes are just right.

We might want to make similar changes to smb-check-vulns for Conficker,
and maybe to http-iis-webdav-whatever. Those were all timely scripts
that don't need to be noisy in a stable release.

Makes sense to me.  If you're able to make those changes, that would
be great!

(I also full agree about automatically upping the verbosity if a script
is run explicitly)

I've got an item in TODO (for post-stable) on that:

o Consider making it easier to tell whether scripts were specified by
  name on the command-line (rather than default or by class) so they
  have the option of providing extra verbosity in that case.  For
  example, see http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q2/0563.html.  We
  could either provide a special function for scripts to determine
  that, or we could magically adjust nmap.verbosity() when called by
  those scripts.

Cheers,
-F