Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA5: Now with Conficker detection!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 02:18:09 -0700

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:48:50PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 01:03:19PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:

And the script is already winning praise :).

And some users who downloaded the latest Nmap for the Conficker script
have ended up impressed with all of Nmap's other great features.  I
mean we can't spend all our time patting ourselves on the back, but
after all the work we've put in, it is great to see articles/blogs
like this:

  This afternoon I decided that it would be prudent to make a quick
  scan of the corporate networks for signs of Conficker-ness.  I knew
  from Dan Kaminsky's recent "Taming Conficker" that I should be able
  to use the recent nmap beta for detection so that's just the route I
  opted to take with the most recent beta version.

  I'm not sure when I last tried nmap on Windows, but I know it was
  from before the integrated Zenmap GUI was included. Man, this works
  great! I'm all for the command line, don't get me wrong, but when
  given the option of using a nicely organized and functional UI I'll
  go that route every time. I really like the ability to store
  profiles -- that rocks.

  [...]

  Of course, as so often happens with nmap I then spent the next hour
  trying various different sorts of scans and options to see what else
  I might turn up on my networks. That thing is an enjoyable
  time-sink, isn't it?

  [Source:
   http://www.solo-technology.com/blog/2009/03/31/conficker-nmap-and-what-i-sent-to-the-office/]

Cheers,