Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: RFC: Nping requirements and user interface

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:28:48 -0700

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 04:59:02PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
We can probably deal with just the interval option.  We should
probably have a convenience option for setting a rate (# of packets
per second) too for people who like to specify it that way.

Maybe --rate to go with Nmap's --min-rate and --max-rate.

That sounds like a good idea.

PING TYPES:
  -pT, --tcp   : TCP ping mode.
  -pU, --upd   : UPD ping mode.
  -pI, --icmp  : ICMP ping mode.
  -pA, --arp   : ARP ping mode.

[...]

There can be more than one type of TCP ping, for example SYN and ACK.
What do you think about --syn and --ack options? --tcp could be a
synonym for SYN, and could fall back to connect ping for non-root users.

My thought is that we don't really need to even call them "ping
modes".  After all, they just specify the protocol of the packet(s)
you are sending and users may use then for numerous reasons, not just
to act as a ping.  For example, you might send ICMP redirection or
destination unreachable messages to affect the remote computer, or a
UDP packet with a specified payload to interract with a remote
service.  Nping should probably allow many types of packets to be
sent, even some which don't normally elicit replies.  Of course the
default behavior will be rather linke ping/hping.

Cheers,
-F