Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: spelling of company name "VMware" for a given mac address

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 17:52:30 -0700

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:32:04AM -0700, Iben Rodriguez wrote:
Dear NMAP Developer Team,

I noticed a minor typo in the OS Detection Output.

The word "VMware" is spelled wrong when reporting the company for an
OUI. The "w" should be lower case - not upper case.

For example: Here is the current output...

Hi Iben.  Unfortunately, that is wrong in the official document at
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt.  VMware should really
contact the IEEE and canonicalize their name and addresses in that
file.  As you show in your email, it is even all caps in one case.

So while there is little I can do about the varying VMware
capitalization until they fix it upstream, I took the opportunity to
update the data to correspond with the latest version of
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt.  Looking at the changes
in r13359, it is clear that companies often get minor capitalization
changes put through, so VMware just needs to do that as well.
Instructions are at http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/index.shtml.

Cheers,
-F