Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA7 Released!

From: henry.nymann () valeosylvania com
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:47:49 -0400

David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote on 04/02/2009 09:44:01 AM:

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:28:43AM -0400, henry.
nymann () valeosylvania com wrote:
  o Add helpful text for the two most common errors seen in the
    Conficker check in smb-check-vulns.nse.  So instead of saying
    things like "Error: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED", output is like:
    |  Conficker: Likely CLEAN; access was denied.
    |  |  If you have a login, try using
--script-args=smbuser=xxx,smbpass=yyy
    |  |  (replace xxx and yyy with your username and password). Also
try
    |  |_ smbdomain=zzz if you know the domain. (Error
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
    The other improved message is for
    NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND. [David]

I downloaded and tried the new beta 7 version this morning.
Specifically,
I'm running it on a Windows 2003 SP2 server, and I uninstalled beta 6
first.  However, I am not getting the new messages that this e-mail
references, so does that mean something did not update correctly on my
server?  Doing a "Help | About" confirms the beta 7 version.

The only added help messages are for the errors NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
and NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND. If you weren't getting those errors
before then you won't get any new output. Specifically, if all you saw
was "Likely CLEAN" or "Likely INFECTED" then nothing in the output will
change.

David Fifield

I get many of the NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED and
NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND responses during my scans.  With the beta 7
version I am still getting those responses.  I get very few "likely clean"
messages, and no "likely infected" messages (so far).

Henry Nymann
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and its disclosure or reproduction is strictly
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its sender at the above address and destroy it.