Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Zenmap scan progress indicator

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 17:21:36 -0700

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 03:50:54PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:

I added a progress indicator to Zenmap. This is like the little thing
that spins while your web browser is loading a page. Some scans run a
long time without producing output, so this is an indication that it is
still running and the program hasn't just stalled or something.

Great David, it works perfectly for me.

The throbber graphic is just a little bit of programmer art I whipped
up. If you want to try a different design, replace the files
share/zenmap/pixmaps/throbber.{gif,png}.

Your throbber
(http://nmap.org/svn/zenmap/share/zenmap/pixmaps/throbber.gif) is
great and also very screen-space efficient!  But I'd still love to see
other people take a crack at it.  It would be fun to experiment with
different throbbers.  I'm trying to think of less abstract examples
which would relate to Nmap or port/security scanning in general.  Then
again, something less abstract might grow old quickly.  I notice that
Firefox uses uses a simple and elegant abstract one (very similar to
David's) rather than a fire-breathing animated Mozilla or something.
Still, if we had a variety, we could ship them all and people who want
to customize their Zenmap could choose the Matrix throbber or
whatever.

Cheers,
-F