Nmap Development mailing list archives

FW: Zenmap from inside network

From: "Joe DeMicco" <joe_demicco () comcast net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 07:34:02 -0400

Hello,

I'm having difficultly getting Zenmap to change the source IP address. We're
running Zenmap on a 32 bit windows vista platform. We want to change the
source ip address to a public ip address so we can test firewall settings
from within the network and make the traffic seem to be coming from outside
the network. When we issue the -S option to change the source address and
hit the scan button this error message is returned: "Could not figure out
what device to send the packet out on with the source address you gave me!
If you are trying to sp00f your scan, this is normal, just give the -e eth0
or -e ppp0 or whatever.  Otherwise you can still use -e, but I find it
kindof fishy.
QUITTING!"

I don't know the network adapter string to use for the -e option. We have an
Atheros AR5007ER wireless network adapter. I appreciate your time and
patience regarding this matter.