Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA7 Overflow

From: Daniel Roethlisberger <daniel () roe ch>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:50:19 +0200

Otávio <octpos () gmail com> 2009-04-16:
I was running nmap to see some remote server information, and after some
second, the scan resulted in a overflow.
That's some known issue?

Yes, this should be fixed in r12974.  It's actually a runtime
linker problem (symbol name collision), not an overflow.

The same parameters didn't resulted in overflow in other servers, so I'm
sniffing the server response to see if I get some think .

I believe it only happens when Nmap negotiates an SSL/TLS
connection with DEFLATE compression.

Here's the gdb backtrack:

(gdb) run -A -T4   (*)
The program being debugged has been started already.
Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/nmap -A -T4   (*)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)

Starting Nmap 4.85BETA7 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-04-15 22:42 BRT

0x080c1cc3 in adler32 ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x080c1cc3 in adler32 ()
#1  0xb7a70119 in inflate () from /usr/lib/libz.so.1
#2  0xb7e08da8 in ?? () from /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
#3  0x0c823b18 in ?? ()
 #4  0x00000002 in ?? ()
#5  0x00000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)