Nmap Development mailing list archives

Issues with nmap

From: Anthony <AnthonyMV () verizon net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:30:15 -0400

To whom it may concern,

   I'm running nmap for quite some time. The last nmap versions 4.20 and
the latest 4.76 I'm having issues with. The following is an output as to
a local box that i'm scanning: nmap -sS -P0 -O -p 1-65535 -v -v
--version-intensity 9 192.168.0.4 --scan-delay 215 -T paranoid
fcbox.log I have tested with my firewalls turned on, firewalls turned
off, ICMP on ICMP off, and this message keeps cropping up:

Increasing send delay for 192.168.0.4 from 215 to 430 due to
max_successful_tryno increase to 4
Increasing send delay for 192.168.0.4 from 430 to 860 due to 11 out of
15 dropped probes since last increase.

    And, during the scans, keeps increasing. Also during the scans, I
cannot access web sites, or retrieve mail... Yet, i can ping, and run
other commands (xprobe2, etc) from the command line. Any suggestions?
The hardware that I'm running is as follows:

    Dell 9400
        256 MB Video
        2GB RAM
        160 GB Hard Disk
        Ubuntu 7.10
        nmap 4.76
        Wired Ethernet

    Target Boxes:
        Dell 5160 FC10, 1GB RAM 80GB hard disk Wired Ethernet
        Mac OSX 2GB RAM 200GB Hard Disk (?) 256 Video. Wired Ethernet

    The internals of my network run a netgear prosafe firewall which has
been disabled for debugging. Please, any help or suggestions i would
really be grateful for and appreciative of.

Kindest Regards,
Anthony.

P.S: I can include a tcp dump of the remote machine i'm scanning. As
it's in network, and nmap states it will take 16 hours!?