Nmap Development mailing list archives

Conficker Scan - ERROR: SMB: Couldn't find a NetBIOS name

From: Stroller <stroller () stellar eclipse co uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 07:33:40 +0100

Hi there,

I'm not too worried about this, but just as a FYI I've found an error / response which seems not to have been reported by anyone else.

        Host 192.168.0.59 appears to be up ... good.
        Interesting ports on 192.168.0.59:
        PORT    STATE  SERVICE
        139/tcp open   netbios-ssn
        445/tcp closed microsoft-ds
        MAC Address: 00:12:3F:AF:AC:98 (Dell)

        Host script results:
        |  smb-check-vulns:
        |  MS08-067: NOT RUN
| Conficker: ERROR: SMB: Couldn't find a NetBIOS name that works for the server. Sorry!
        |_ regsvc DoS: NOT RUN (add --script-args=unsafe=1 to run)

My knowledge of NetBIOS is pretty sketchy, but I'd have expected this machine to respond in a similar manner to all the others on the LAN as they're all on an MS domain managed by an SBS 2003 server. The only thing that's remarkable about this particular machine is that it's a laptop; there is at least one other laptop normally on the LAN, but this is the only one in the office at this time. I think that laptops are configured slightly differently by MS's domain management stuff, in that users may be assigned to a laptop to allow them to log in to the machine when the domain controller cannot be contacted, and the users are allowed to use offline caches of network file shares (which are synced when the user returns to the office). I don't know if this makes any difference.

Adjacent machines show either "Likely CLEAN" or "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" (as per my other message).

I've attached what diagnostics I can think of,

Stroller.