Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC Feedback

From: ithilgore <ithilgore.ryu.l () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:38:38 +0200

Ankur Nandwani wrote:
Hey Guys,

I am a Graduate student, doing some research in the area of TCP/IP fingerprinting. I had a few ideas regarding SoC,
which are as follows:-

I have noticed that Snort has signatures to detect probes sent by Nmap during OS detection. For example, Snort rule
with SID: 629 (http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/sigs.cgi?sid=629) is designed to detect T3 probe with SYN, FIN, URG, and
PSH flags set. I was thinking, if we could avoid the use of such probes, we could prevent the detection of Nmap
probes by an Intrusion Prevention and Detection System like Snort.

 You could specify the option --scanflags and change the TCP flags which
 will be on at each probe. Additionally, Fyodor had presented at SchmooCon
 many ways to bypass Snort time-related rules and other ids stuff:
 http://insecure.org/presentations/Shmoo06/

Also, as Nmap sends 16 probes for each IP address during OS detection, I was wondering if we could do some work
specifically in reducing the number of probes sent by Nmap.

 Reducing the number of probes would probably lead to less accurate
 results. However, a discussion on removing the the IE.DLI probe had
 started here:
 http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0679.html

I would be glad to hear your suggestions regarding the above ideas.

Thanks & Regards
Ankur

--
ithilgore