Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: --excludefile bug

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:10:20 -0700

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 02:59:45PM -0800, Khoa Pham wrote:
Hello,

Im using 4.76 and the --excludefile option does not work , I created host.txt, 1 ip a line, when I use it, nmap said

"Exclude file line 0 was too long to read.  Exiting"

But the same host.txt file works just fine or -iL option

Hi. I was able to reproduce this by creating a host.txt with no
terminating newline at the end of the file. The code for reading the
exclude file in targets.cc checks for a newline to see if the result
from fgets was truncated, but it is also fooled by this situation. A
workaround is to just add a blank line at the end of your host.txt.

I'll add this to a list of things to fix. A patch is welcome. This would
be a good thing to check out for anyone who wants to start getting their
hands dirty with Nmap code.

David Fifield