Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bugfix : wrong IPIDs generation algorithm

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:31:47 -0600

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:58:09PM +0100, Guillaume PRIGENT wrote:
While working on a tool called IpMorph (it's purpose is to fool all
active and passive OSFP tools) i noticed Nmap didn't always properly
analyse the IPIDs generation algorithm. Notably, in the array of IPIDs
Nmap gathers, the second one was sometimes replaced by the last one,
resulting in a difference way over 1 between the first two IPIDs, thus
resulting in Nmap concluding the IPIDs were generated in an unknown
manner instead of incrementally.

I noticed in osscan2.cc what looks like an copy-paste error, so I fixed
that, and now all works fine. You will find the patch attached.

Thank you, your fix is quite correct. I committed it in r12686. This has
been broken since the SEQ.CI test was introduced in r12292. It wouldn't
have an effect in every scan, only those in which there were "holes" in
the CI response array.

David Fifield