Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap crashes while NSE is initialized for OS detection

From: Supratim Sarkar <supratimsarkar () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:35:22 +0530

Hello Everybody,

Currently I am doing a scan on my enterprise network for some asset
management purpose.
Recently after upgrading to Nmap 4.76 , I am facing re-occurring issue of
Nmap Crash while NSE is being initialized for OS detection.

I am using the following the nmap commands usually.

nmap -T4 -sS -sV --version-light -O --osscan-limit -v
nmap -T4 -sS -sV -O --host_timeout 5m

I am attaching the following screen shot of the crash

http://www.imgx.org/files/33162_slbwk/NMAP%20error.JPG

There was usually very rare crash before when i used Nmap 4.50~4.62.
I tried even with the latest development beta build Nmap 4.85 BETA 3 and the
issue exists there as well.

Is there any way command line arguement by which I can disable Nmap
Scripting Engine.
I wanted version detection and OS detection to be there but dont want NSE to
be kicked in case Nmap cant detect the OS/Service Info in 1-2 tries.

It would be of great help if anyone can pass me some pointers in this
regards.

Regards,
Supratim Sarkar