Nmap Development mailing list archives

January 2009 OS detection highlights

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:37:37 -0700

Hi,

Here's a summary of interesting changes from the latest round of 563 OS
submissions and 31 corrections from October 27 to December 8. First some
aggregate statistics.

Line count went from 29286 to 31569 (+2283, +8%).
Fingerprint count went from 1635 to 1761 (+126, +8%).

New vendors:
Brocade, Decru, Netgem, Patton, Quarterdeck, Revo, WAGO, Western
Digital, WowWee.
Removed vendors:
WebVOIZE, Westell.

(WebVOIZE was subsumed into an embedded Linux print. Westell was just
commented out in a print that has many classes; I left only the most
popular ones.)

New device types:
proxy server (13).
Removed device types:
web proxy (10).

(I changed the specific "web proxy" to the more general "proxy server"
to encompass a new new prints.)

Here are interesting or noteworthy new prints.

Apple Mac OS X 10.5 - 10.5.6 (Leopard) (Darwin 9.0.0 - 9.6.0)
        10.5.6 was released in December.

uClinux 2.4.19-uc1 (ARM)
        It's great when someone finds out the name of an embedded
        operating system and the print can be more specific than
        "embedded."

WAP: Airnet AWR014G; D-Link DI-524, DI-604, DI-624, or WBR-2310; or TRENDnet TEW-432BRP or TEW-452BRP (ThreadX)
        A submitter dug through the firmware of one of these WAPs to
        find that it runs ThreadX. That's dedication for you, and one
        less "embedded" for everyone. I assumed that the other WAPs
        already on the list run the same OS.
        http://rtos.com/page/product.php?id=2

Linux 2.6.17 - 2.6.28
        2.6.28 was released in December. This release puts TCP
        options back the way they were in 2.6.26 (see
        http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q4/0471.html).

WAGO-I/O-SYSTEM 750 automation system
        I called this an "automation system" with device type
        "specialized," but I'm still not sure exactly what it does.
        http://www.wago.us/products/337.htm

Sony FWD-40LX2F display card
        This is a display card built into TVs and monitors.
        http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/product/FWD40LX2F/B

Quarterdeck DESQview/X 2.10
        This is a multitasking program running on top of DOS. The first
        version of DESQview predated even Windows but I couldn't find a
        date for DESQview/X, which includes an X server.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DESQview

Planet VIP-154T VoIP phone (MicroC/OS-II)
        An embedded real-time OS. So far this phone is the only thing in
        the database it's known to run on.
        http://www.micrium.com/products/rtos/kernel/rtos.html

Cisco CRS-1 router (IOS XR 3.4.1 - 3.6.2)
        IOS XR is the successor to IOS but has a quite different
        fingerprint.
        http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5845/index.html

Microsoft Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (XP Embedded derivative)
        Microsoft sells a stripped-down OS for businesses whose older
        hardware can't run XP but don't want to run earlier
        (unsupported) versions of Windows.
        http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/sa/benefits/fundamentals.mspx

WowWee Rovio mobile webcam
        Some kind of weird webcam on wheels.