Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: zenmap X11 issue

From: Frederick Hampton <mactech () earthlink net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:25:21 -0400

X11 should be located on your Installation disks. Once you install it Zenmap works great!
On Mar 13, 2009, at 4:16 PM, David Fifield wrote:

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:39:50AM -0700, Ed Clay wrote:
I am looking for help with zenmap on my powerbook.  I am running Mac
OS X Version 10.4.11 on an intel Core 2 Duo. I thought X11 was loaded
on my box; however, zenmap does not seem to find it.

I went to the apple site and downloaded X11 and tried to load it.  I
downloaded the X11User.dmg and start the load process and get a stop
sign with a ! in it on my disk drive.  I click on the disk drive icon
and get the following message: "You cannot install X11 on this volume.
Newer Software already exists on your computer."

I also tried the X11 update on the Apple site and when trying to load
it I get the message: This system does not need this update.

If I try to run Zenmap from a Terminal window I get the error:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc'

I have checked and have a /usr/X11R6/lib directory. I do not have the
X11/xinit directories.  I looked for the most up to date version of
X11 for Mac and found one that will use X11R7 for the directory.  I
have two issues with this. One I could not find the binaries for this
new version only information.  Second zenmap is looking for X11R6 and
I needed to load the binaries Vs building my own so do not seem to be
able to change it.  I ran the command "find" in a terminal window to
find xinit and that directory does not seem to exist on my box.  So I
assume I do not have a copy of X11 even though the installers from the
X11 software I downloaded from Apple seems to indicate that I do.

I would like help in either configuring zenmap to work with what I
currently have.  Or help me get a new version of X11 that I can load
on my system and how I get zenmap to use it.

Can you run X11 by clicking the icon in /Applications/Utilities? If not, then your installation of X11 is broken and Zenmap won't work. You will
have better luck asking a Mac support site for help fixing X11 if that
is the case.

David Fifield