Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Google/Nmap SoC 2009 Project Ideas?

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 16:05:24 -0500

Fyodor wrote:
Hi all.  Google just began taking applications for organizations to
participate in the 2009 Summer of Code!  As you probably all know, the
Nmap Project has benefited greatly from participating in that program
for the past four years.  I even wrote a blog entry for them about it:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2008/11/nmaps-fourth-gsoc-success-stories-and.html

One of the most important requirements of a successful SoC is coming up
with a great "ideas page" which lists summer projects that students
can apply for.  They can always come up with their own completely new
ideas (and we encourage that sort of creativity), but most choose
ideas from our list or at least start with one for inspiration.

You can see our 2008 ideas page here:

http://nmap.org/GoogleGrants.html

So if anyone has an idea for Nmap (including Ndiff, Ncat, or Zenmap),
please speak up!  It does not have to be such a big project that it
would take all summer--we usually sponsor several folks who focus on
many smaller tasks instead.  I'd love to hear about any NSE scripts
you'd find useful, Nmap enhancements which would make your job easier,
etc.  This is your chance to dream up whatever would make Nmap better
for you, and there is a chance we can get Google to pay for someone to
actually implement it in code!

You can also look at the Nmap TODO (nmap/docs/TODO in svn) for many
ideas under consideration.  If you find something there you really
like, let us know on the nmap-dev list and we'll be more likely to
list it on the ideas page.  I plan to write the new ideas page in the
next few days because applications are due to Google on Friday.

Cheers,
Fyodor

I haven't used the Nmap GUI at all, so this may already exist. If it does, just ignore me. :)

It'd be nice if it was easier to get information about scripts and set script-arguments in the GUI when you choose scripts (based on the NSEDocs).

It'd also be nice if Nmap had an interactive mode where you can load scripts, get information, and set arguments much like Metaspliot's msfconsole.

Just a couple random thoughts. I'd basically like to see scripts become easier/more straight forward for an average person to use.

Ron