Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: getting started with nmap developement

From: kaushik saurabh <roideuniverse () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 20:43:23 +0530

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Ron <ron () skullsecurity net> wrote:

kaushik saurabh wrote:
hi,   i am new to nmap,
   and i wanted to contribute in development of nmap
   i have gone through the website nmap.org
   but i dont know where to get started?

i got to know about nmap through google summer of code, and i m
interested
in working with a mentoring organization in networking field, and i found
nmap.
Can anybody tell me where should i get started.?

Greetings,
roide

I recommend teaching yourself lua and either writing or improving
scripts. There are probably thousando of potentially useful scripts, and
only about 60 written.

A neat idea I had that may or may not be possible is a script that
interacts with filesharing ports (limewire, gnutella, whatever) and
tells you all the information possible. Pulling a list of shared files
would be really cool, if do-able. That's just a random thought, but
scripts are definitely the way to go if you want to help out.

Ron

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/

hi Ron,
i dont know lua, but i m ready to teach myself lua.
and i hv no previous experience with scripts as well.

i know c/c++ but i hv never done any scripting in that.
and i m a rookie in python.

Your idea is cool. :)
i like it.
But do u think that if i start learning lua, and scripts, frm right now,
 will i be in a position to prepare a strong application for gsoc?
networking+gsoc are my top priorities right now. and when i read about nmap
i got fascinated with it. i m a quick learner and learning basic stuffs of
lua will not take me more than 10 days.

I read somewhere that nmap was written in c/c++.

Greetings.
roide