Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Probes (TCP, ICMP and UDP)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 16:51:30 -0800

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 05:33:53PM -0500, Srikanth Dabbiru wrote:

Just had to clear out my confusion here:

The article states there are 15 probes sent, but, when I count the number of
probes they come to 16 including the UDP probe.
http://nmap.org/book/osdetect-methods.html

Is ICMP dual-probe (IE) considered to be a single probe ?

Hi Srikanth.  Good catch!  There are indeed up to 16 probes:

6 - the TCP seq probes (SEQ, OPS, WIN, TI)
6 - TCP misc. probes (T2 - T7)
2 - ICMP echo probes
1 - ECN
1 - UDP

You are probably right that we forgot to count the 2nd ICMP echo
probe.  I have updated updated the page (might have to reload if it is
still in your cache):

http://nmap.org/book/osdetect-methods.html

Cheers,
-F