Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: python install question

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:55:37 -0700

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 03:53:23PM -0800, Aaron Leininger wrote:
I have been upgrading some of my boxen to 4.85beta3. I have one test
box that I use that has no GUI installed. I used the ./configure
--without-zenmap option on this box to speed up the compile since I
had no use for zenmap in this case. I know zenmap uses python but I
was surprised to find that the regular install of nmap from source now
requires python and python-dev to be installed in order to
successfully complete. The ndiff script at the end of the 'make
install' command is where the failure was.

I got:
   invalid Python installation: unable to open /usr/include/python2.5/pyconfig.h

The problem description is a bit misleading. A regular build of Nmap
does not require Python to be installed. If Python is not detected,
Ndiff and Zenmap are skipped. What appears to be the case is that, on
some distros, if you have Python installed, then you must also have
python-dev installed.

There's an open Python bug about it: http://bugs.python.org/issue4359.

What distribution do you use? If this is a common problem then we can
find a workaround.

David fifield