Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: A sleep function for NSE

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:39:45 -0700

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 03:14:27PM -0600, Ron wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
One of the Nmap TODO items is a sleep function for NSE. Such a function
allows rate-limiting traffic for politeness or to avoid triggering some
filter. The attached stdnse.sleep.diff implements such a function.

This is a great idea, and something I was looking for fairly recently.
There are places in my code that would greatly benefit from a sleep
function.

I just have on question -- does this implementation of Sleep proper
yield to other Lua threads (coroutines?) while the sleep is happening,
or is everything blocked?

Other threads can run while one thread is sleeping. The sleeping thread
yields control just as if it had done a socket operation or somesuch.

David Fifield