Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: SSL support in Ncat - confusing server parameters

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:08:37 -0700

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 12:06:17PM +0100, Kristof Boeynaems wrote:
1. Ncat as SSL server - confusing parameters
The only way I could Ncat get to work as SSL server is by specifying
all the SSL parameters, that is, not only --ssh, but also --ssl-key
and --ssl-cert.
E.g.

  ./ncat --ssl -l 1111 --ssl-cert
/usr/share/doc/libssl-dev/demos/sign/cert.pem --ssl-key
/usr/share/doc/libssl-dev/demos/sign/key.pem

(Note that I am using a certificate and key that comes with libssl-dev)

Now, the fact that the cert and key parameters have to be specified as
well, might sound obvious to SSL experts, but I forgot this in first
instance, and that returns some obscure errors, depending on the SSL
client used to connect to the Ncat server.

Thanks very much for testing. I can reproduce the obscure error messages
with the commands you cite. In r12184 I added a warning if --ssl is used
in listen mode without being used with both --ssl-key and --ssl-cert:

Ncat: warning: You used --ssl in listen mode without also using --ssl-key
and --ssl-cert. Connections probably won't work.

Maybe we should give instructions for generating a key and certificate,
either in the warning message or in the documentation. I used this
command to generate files for testing:

openssl req -new -x509 -keyout test-key.pem -out test-cert.pem

Is that all that's necessary, or should that command be adjusted before
being committed to documentation? OpenSSL experts?

Ncat does not seem to support these ciphers.
I also missed some command line parameters to specify the used SSL
version and supported ciphers in Ncat. Is adding these features
planned?

Those features aren't planned. The ability to specify the SSL version
would solve the other problem you cited, of Ncat not being able to
connect to some servers. I will respond to that in a different reply.

David Fifield