Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r12027 - nmap/docs

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 14:11:51 -0800

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 03:23:17PM -0600, Ron wrote:
+o Get better password data for unpw
+  o perhaps from Solar Designer.
+  o perhaps add phpbb hack data (there is at least a list of 28,635
+    passwords in phpbb_users.sql, and possibly more in other files.

I put together a list of password lists on my wiki[1], the most
interesting one being the list of phished MySpace passwords, ordered by
the frequency of use. Might be worth looking at that one, too.

Nice.

I'd like to add phpbb_users.sql to my list, does anybody know where I
can get a copy of it (or does anybody have a unique username/password in
the list that I can google for:) )? (the links I've seen have been taken
down)

I don't want to publicly post all the files, because I'm sure many
users use the same password for their email and other accounts.  But a
list of just how many times each password was found doesn't hurt
anything.  So I placed such a list here in this temporary directory:

http://insecure.org/tmp/c/phbb-top-pw.txt

Of course my not posting the full files does little considering anyone
can get it from The Pirate Bay (search for phpbb).

I think these 28,635 passwords are just the easiest ones for the
hacker to crack.  So they are biased toward lame passwords.  We could
likely create a better file with some password cracking effort.
Though we might want to wait a month or more before posting any
results from such an effort, so the victims have more time to change
their passwords.

Cheers,
-F