Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ndiff included in Windows zip distribution

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 02:14:34 +0100

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 06:39:14PM -0600, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
would using

"%COMSPEC%" /c "%PYTHON%" "%PROG%" %*

maintain the exit state?

You know what, it turns out that the way I wrote the script, the ndiff
exit code is propagated outside the batch file, because the call to
python.exe is the very last statement. I had it written in a different
way before where it didn't work and didn't test it again when I rewrote
it.

And in fact the "exit /b 1" syntax used when python.exe can't be found
works too, at least in the Windows shell. If I break the python.exe
search, run ndiff.bat, and "echo %ERRORLEVEL%", I get 1 as expected.
What doesn't work is "echo $?" from a Cygwin Bash shell when the
python.exe search fails--even though $? works when when ndiff.py is run
successfully. I only tested it in Bash before so I didn't notice that it
worked in cmd.exe. So apart from that very minor Cygwin issue, I think
this is solved.

David Fifield