Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA3

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 12:05:57 -0700

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 01:57:23PM -0500, Verde Denim wrote:
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 11:02 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>wrote:
On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:26:37AM -0500, Verde Denim wrote:
On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 1:48 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
wrote:
On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 07:41:37PM -0800, Fyodor wrote:
I've posted the goods on the Nmap download page at
http://nmap.org/download.html .  We don't have a Mac installer yet,
but I'm sure David will make one soon.

nmap-4.85BETA3.dmg is there now.

Can B3 be applied to B2 or do I need to un-install B2 ?

You should be able to install a newer version over an older version;
it's what I always do. The Mac Installer application doesn't have an
uninstall option anyway. The only problem I can think of is that you
might have outdated scripts lying around. The installer only touches
files in /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/share/man, /usr/local/share/nmap,
and /Applications/Zenmap.app, so you can clean out those directories if
necessary.

Thanks, David. I'll get the latest and compile and install it...

We may be talking about different things. The .dmg file contains an
executable installer. You don't have to compile anything. If you're
going to compile then you want the .tgz file. Compiling Nmap on OS X is
not hard but compiling Zenmap is tricky because of its dependencies.

David Fifield