Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Mass rDNS performance tweak

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:19:25 -0700

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:05:42AM +0000, jah wrote:
On 22/01/2009 19:01, David Fifield wrote:
Likewise, what does this mean?
    capacity -= (float) drop_ratio
More drops means a greater reduction in capacity, everything else being
equal. But shouldn't drop ratios (defined as in the patch) of 6 / 5 and
600 / 500 cause different absolute changes in capacity? In the first
case it seems we should reduce capacity by about 6; in the second, by
about 600. The code in the patch will change it by -1.2 in both cases.

Remember also that we get a capacity decrease for each timed-out request
so the overall decrease in capacity is much greater after 600 timeouts
than after 6.

Ah, you're right of course. And me just having explained how that
identical effect affects congestion window growth.

David Fifield