Nmap Development mailing list archives

Idea for getting alot decoys

From: Duarte Silva <duartejcsilva () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:03:50 +0000

Hi,

I was using nmap against *some* server, and the firewall didn't allow
much. It is actually a well tided up server. To try to get a little more
of it I tried to use decoys. That's when I had a idea, why don't we use
torrents to get on-line and valid hosts as decoys? It's possible to
implement a minimal *client* that would announce us with a certain
torrent to the torrent tracker and get the peers IP for us to use. Some
torrents get up to thousands of peers, and that's a big pool of IPs to
choose from.
This would be represented by a command line option in nmap like "-tD
<input torrent>".
What do y'all think?

Best regards,
Duarte Silva

PS: I had this idea on top of my head now, didn't study the bitorrent
protocol yet, to check for the possibility of this.

Oh forget to say hi! My first post :P