Nmap Development mailing list archives

Ncat bugs? Server --{send,recv}-only, UDP multiple connections

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:13:00 -0700

Hi,

I found behavior in Ncat that was surprising to me. I want to check if
it's doing what it's supposed to of if these are bugs that should be
fixed.

The first is that --send-only and --recv-only don't appear to have any
effect in server mode (--listen). With --send-only --listen I still see
what's typed on the client on the server side, and with --recv-only
--listen I am able to send to the client by typing in the terminal.
--send-only and --recv-only work for client connections.

The second is that --listen --udp quits after the first connection; it
doesn't keep allowing connections like --listen --tcp does. To make a
UDP qotd server I tried to do
        ncat -l 17 --udp --exec "/usr/games/fortune"
but it quits after sending the first quote. I had to wrap it in a while
loop:
        while true; do ncat -l 17 --udp --exec "/usr/games/fortune"; done

David Fifield