Nmap Development mailing list archives

The first up-to-date translation of Zenmap: German

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 09:58:22 -0700

Hello,

A few weeks ago we got a translation of Zenmap 4.68 into German by Chris
Leick. I installed it in the source code, but many text strings had
changed since then so the application was in a mixture of English and
German. Chris was then kind enough to update his translation for the
latest sources. So now Zenmap has an up-to-date German translation!

See a screenshot at http://www.bamsoftware.com/wiki/Nmap/Translations.

The translation is not 100% complete, but that's not Chris's fault. Some
strings were not marked translatable in the source, which only became
obvious when all the other strings gained a translation. (You see it in
the "About" dialog for example.) Also the "Topology" aka "Netzstruktur"
tab is not internationalized yet, owing to its history as a separate
program.

In German, "About" translates as "Über," so if you think you're über you
should check it out. Just run
        LANG=de zenmap
I don't know if this works on Windows and OS X using their own language
selection conventions (i.e., not using LANG). Setting LANG should work
on any platform.

Making a translation of Zenmap is not hard technically. In the directory
share/zenmap/locale there's a file zenmap.pot containing all the
untranslated strings. You just copy zenmap.pot to <ll>.po, where <ll> is
the code of your language, and fill in the translations. Then a makefile
generates the machine-readable translation files.

David Fifield