Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Testing requested of nmap-perf branch

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 23:03:30 -0700

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 02:40:45AM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
The nmap-perf branch contains a new algorithm for detecting and
responding to remote rate limiting that I'd like some folks to test. Get
it with

      svn co --username guest --password "" svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap-exp/david/nmap-perf

You'll recall that Nmap's rate limit detection turns on a scan delay
that starts at 5 ms (50 ms for UDP) and doubles until it reaches
1000 ms. That imposed a severe penalty whenever scan delay kicked in
when it shouldn't have.

I'm interested in reports of speed and especially accuracy. The new code
should not be any slower than the old in any case, and may be much
faster in some cases. Of course any reduction in accuracy will point to
a flaw in the algorithm that I need to fix. In fact I just found one,
which I'll deal with later: running a 1000-port UDP scan against Mac OS X
sometimes goes too fast and misses drops, leading to too many
open|filtered ports.

I found that this sometimes happens with Nmap trunk too. That is, it's
partly a matter of luck whether scan delay kicks in and keeps the scan
from being inaccurate. Anyway, that particular problem should be fixed
as of nmap-perf r11529, so please give it a try. I'd like to merge these
changes this week to focus on other performance issues.

David Fifield