Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap tty and NSE

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:01:53 -0700

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 01:29:37AM -0700, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 12:09 PM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
with the thread address displayed only with -d2 (raw memory addresses
feel too low-level for -d). The main thing is that it's best if each
output line fits in 80 columns. With those small changes I say go ahead
and commit it.

My feeling is there needs to be some form of unique identifier for
each instance of the script (even at -d1). The simplest way to do that
is output the thread's pointer.

Is the combination of file name, target, and port unique? Are there ever
two different threads that have those values the same? If so, that's an
adequate unique ID. Script developers who are really deep in debugging
may want the addresses, but when you're really deep in debugging you run
with a higher debug level anyway.

Also, with the large amount of information being output (especially
with the variable length script file name), cutting the output down to
80 characters is difficult. I'm not sure there is an easy solution to
solving that. That example output didn't show it, but it can also look
like this:

Finished script './scripts/showHTMLTitle.nse' (thread: 0x84b0698)
against 88.217.63.66.adsl.dyn.setel.com (66.63.217.88).

Naturally, the hostname can be quite long making it very easy to
overflow 80 characters. The previous output I pasted didn't have any
hostnames for any of the targets.

I don't mean that we should force every line to 80 characters, only that
if we can shorten the message so that lines don't wrap in common cases
then we should do it. The common case would be scripts in
/usr/share/nmap/scripts. We could lose the host name. Compare the output
of a normal port scan with -v:

Completed SYN Stealth Scan against 192.168.0.1 in 0.15s (1 host left)

David Fifield