Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Target time out checks

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:24:09 -0600

Patrick Donnelly wrote:
Currently NSE starts the time out clock for all the hosts in a
runlevel group before beginning the scan. If there is an extremely
large group, some hosts may not be handled before a script thread is
mistakenly timed out (even when it has no connections open). Also, a
script may not actually be accessing that host at the time (whois.nse
will query the whois databse, not the target!!). For this reason, I do
not believe that the Target.timedOut method is appropriate for the
Script Engine. However, the target.startTimeOutClock and
target.stopTimeOutClock methods are still useful for tracking the
length of time the host was scanned (even if indirectly).

I have attached a patch that removes the checks to see if the target
host has timed out. If there are no complaints/problems/concerns I
will apply this in a couple days.

Cheers,

I may be understanding this wrong, so correct me if I am, but I think that the script timeout has a good side and a bad side.

On the plus side, it saves us from locking up for good when a script holding a mutex crashes. Other scripts waiting for that mutex will eventually time out.

On the downside, if 5000 scripts are running at once, some may time out accidentally, which isn't good.

That's my quick take on it.
Ron