Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap tty and NSE

From: "Patrick Donnelly" <batrick.donnelly () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:36:23 -0700

When speaking to Ron and Brandon about some of the problems debugging
their scripts, I had thought it would be useful to have some form of
interactive debugger they could use at arbitrary moments during a
Script Scan to inspect script threads. In particular, they would like
to see all the threads waiting/running and inspect the stacks of the
threads. I expect it would be as simple as adding an extra character
command (like 'v' increases the verbosity) that signals to NSE the
debugger should run.

I don't think this is possible right now with (the basic) Lua debugger
debug.debug [1] because Nmap takes control of the tty. There would
need to be some changes (while maintaining compatibility) to
nmap_tty.cc module to make this possible. Does this sound like a good
idea?

[1] http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-debug.debug

Cheers,

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant