Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Strange errors with nmap 4.68

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:36:34 -0800

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 03:08:00PM -0700, Nathan wrote:
On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Customer Services Auto Response
<do_not_reply () informa com> wrote:
Thank you for contacting us.

Please accept this email as confirmation that your enquiry/request has been
received by our
[...]

Uhhh, huh?  Did someone subscribe a tech support email bot-responder
to this mailing list or something?  That's not cool.  :-P

Yeah.  With about 1,800 people on this list, that sort of thing (or
misconfigured vacation scripts, spam challenge systems, bounces, etc.)
happens regularly :(.  If anyone gets them, just forward them to my
attention (preferably with full headers) and I'll try to figure out
what address caused it and remove them.  I've just removed Informa.
When someone is removed (or unsubscribes themselves), they get a
message like this:

So long, and thanks for all of the fish.  We hope you enjoyed the
list--feel free to resubscribe later.  If you did not unsubscribe
yourself, you were unsubscribed by an administrator.  This is almost
always because we were receiving bounce or auto-response messages from
your address.  Examples are server bounces ("message could not be
delivered to user--nonexistant", or "mailbox full"), vacation
auto-responders ("I will be away until Thursday of next week, please
contact Stacy Sue for anything urgent"), or anti-spam messages
("BlahCorp mail gateway determined that your message is spam", "Please
visit this URL to prove you are a human before your mail will get
through".  List messages are sent with the header "Precedence: bulk".
Please don't auto-respond to such messages.  Once you have fixed your
vacation responder (or whatever), feel free to resubscribe.  Thanks!

Cheers,
-F