Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap Network Scanning Book is Finally Out!

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:38:53 -0800

Nmap developers:

I'm happy to report that the Nmap book I've been working on since 2003
is finally out!  I think it came out really well, in part due to help
from many of you folks.  I plan to do a formal release announcement to
nmap-hackers this week, but wanted to give you folks on nmap-dev a
heads up.  Here is the abstract:

  Nmap Network Scanning is the official guide to the Nmap Security
  Scanner, a free and open source utility used by millions of people
  for network discovery, administration, and security auditing. From
  explaining port scanning basics for novices to detailing low-level
  packet crafting methods used by advanced hackers, this book by
  Nmap's original author suits all levels of security and networking
  professionals. The reference guide documents every Nmap feature and
  option, while the remainder demonstrates how to apply them to
  quickly solve real-world tasks. Examples and diagrams show actual
  communication on the wire. Topics include subverting firewalls and
  intrusion detection systems, optimizing Nmap performance, and
  automating common networking tasks with the Nmap Scripting Engine.

The folks at Slashdot already noticed it on Amazon and it is on the
front page now.  Here is the review/article/discussion:

http://books.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/12/08/1443223

And I have a lot more details about the book here:

http://nmap.org/book/

About half the chapters are already online free here:

http://nmap.org/book/toc.html

And you can order a copy from Amazon in time for Christmas here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0979958717?tag=secbks-20

Imagine your loved one's surprise when she (or he) finds nearly 500
pages of port scanning bliss in her stocking!

Enjoy the book!  And if you like it, be sure to spread the word as
much as you can (maybe a blog post, Amazon review, note on your site,
Twitter, etc.).  As a self-published work (which is what allowed me to
post half of it online), I don't have the marketing budget and clout
of a major publisher.  But big publishers may not be as critical as
they think, considering that the Amazon page currently says:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #647 in Books

Popular in these categories:
#1 in Books > Computers & Internet > Certification Central > Exams > Security+
#1 in Books > Computers & Internet > Networking > Network Security
#1 in Books > Computers & Internet > Graphic Design > Scanning

While I'm flattered that the book is the #1 seller in the "Graphic
Design > Scanning" category, I do need to figure out how to fix that
misclassification on Amazon :).

Cheers,
-F