Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Desired improvements in Nmap performance?

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:44:09 -0000 (UTC)

My complaints are about long time for UDP scan for large networks.

Do you mean "significantly longer than expected" (e.g. a lot more than 18
hours to scan all UDP ports on a host), or just "it took a long time"? I'm
assuming the former, as UDP scans will often take a long time when you're
scanning hosts that "took RFC 1812 section 4.3.2.8 to heart and limit ICMP
error message rate" (to quote an old Nmap page). Linux and Solaris based
hosts will typically take a long time to UDP scan when using default (no
-T options specified) Nmap settings.

Rob