Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nse] Output formatting

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 17:48:34 -0600

David Fifield wrote:
In this simple case I don't like any extra characters. The first example
looks best to me. I know that in your other scripts you do have a need
to display hierarchical information.
I agree, but at the same time I like the consistency of formatting it
the same in every multi-line script. Of course, I'm not going to go
through every .nse and re-format it, but I think it'd be nice to have a
common style.

Here's a thought: indent each line with tabs, and let the scripting
engine convert the tabs to whatever it wants?

How about this style? If you have more than one line you add another
level of hierarchy under the existing level.

Host script results:
|  smb-check-vulns:
|  MS08-067: FIXED
|  |  Extra information.
|  |_ More.
|_ regsvc DoS: VULNERABLE

It might look even better with just indentation.
Host script results:
|  smb-check-vulns:
|  MS08-067: FIXED
|    Extra information.
|    More.
|_ regsvc DoS: VULNERABLE
I think the first one looks better. I'll stick with that, for now.

David Fifield

Ron

--
Ron Bowes