Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: cannot scan

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 17:31:20 -0700

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 08:17:11PM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 09:44:34PM -0400, Verde Denim wrote:
I sent a message to the list earlier regarding this, but am not sure it went
through. Please excuse if it is already in circulation
I am trying to learn to use nmap.
I have installed nmap/zenmap (latest version for win) with winpcap
when I run any scans I have to use the --unprivileged option since I am
running with a wireless card which uses ppp0
All scans return the same error

sample scan:
nmap -T4 --version-light -sV -F -O c--unprivileged scan.target.com

constant error output (regardless of target)
TCP/IP fingerprinting (for OS scan) requires that WinPcap version 3.1 or
higher and iphlpapi.dll be installed.
You seem to be missing one or both of these.  Winpcap is available from
http://www.winpcap.org.  iphlpapi.dll
comes with Win98 and later operating sytems and NT 4.0 with SP4 or greater.

For previous windows versions, you may be able to take iphlpapi.dll from
another system and place it in your
system32 dir (e.g. c:\windows\system32).

The error message is misleading. It really should say "TCP/IP
fingerprinting (for OS scan) requires raw packets" or something like
that. The error message is assuming that the only way you could fail to
have "root privileges" (in terms of raw packet sending) on Windows is
that WinPcap is not installed. However you have shown that it can also
be caused by the use of --unprivileged.

I fixed the error reporting so Nmap doesn't claim you're missing WinPcap
when you really just used --unprivileged.

David Fifield