Nmap Development mailing list archives

Locking a mutex by name?

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 21:17:28 -0600

Hey,

I've been trying to use mutexes to stop SMB from breaking itself, but,
after some further research, I don't think I'm doing it right. I suspect
I know how to fix it, but I want to make sure I'm fixing it the right way.

The issue is that a single Windows server can't handle multiple SMB
connections from the same person at the same time. If a second person
connects from the same IP, the first gets kicked off. The most logical
way to fix that is to use a mutex.

What I initially tried to do was lock a mutex based on the name of the
server, basically:
local mutex = nmap.mutex("SMB" .. server_name)

Unfortunately, I don't think that works the way I expected it to, since
the nmap.mutex() function expects an object, and multiplexes on that
object. I don't think two instances of that string, especially in
different scripts being run, will result in the same object, so it falls
apart.

So, is there a right way to do this?

My thought is to store the mutexable objects in the nmap registry, in a
table based on the name. That would give the different scritps access to
the same actual object. Is that the best way of handling this situation,
or is there a better way I can do it?

Thanks!
Ron

--