Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: N-map on Windows Me

From: "Rob Nicholls" <robert () everythingeverything co uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 12:14:52 -0000

Hi Andrea,

I suspect the problem might be partly caused by your use of (what appears to
be) a custom font (that probably doesn't support Unicode characters, which
may be why you're seeing square boxes). Do you still have the problem if you
revert Windows Me to use its default font(s) and try to launch Zenmap? I
don't know if Zenmap has been tested on Windows Me, but I believe it
supports Unicode and Windows 9x/Me doesn't have native Unicode support, so
there may still be some issues even using the standard Windows fonts.

If you're able to get Zenmap to work, I think you'll unfortunately hit some
other issues.

Nmap requires WinPcap to be installed to provide full functionality. The
version supplied in nmap-4.76-setup.exe does not support Windows Me, so you
may need to install an older version of WinPcap (3.1 or 4.0 beta 2) if you
want to perform anything like SYN scans. You can find older versions in the
WinPcap archive: http://www.winpcap.org/archive/

The main executable in Nmap 4.76, nmap.exe, is compiled using Visual C++
2008; however, Microsoft do not support Windows 9x/Me, so I don't believe
you can install the required runtime components. The requirements are listed
here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-
8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF

If you have access to a different C++ compiler, you could try compiling the
source code yourself to try and avoid the runtime component issue, but Nmap
doesn't maintain instructions for building using other compilers (but some
users have mentioned success with Cygwin/Mingwin).

You'll most likely need to use at least Windows 2000 (with lots of patches)
in order to use Nmap and Zenmap successfully:
http://nmap.org/book/inst-windows.html

Rob