Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: New script - http-favicon.nse

From: dave-san <dave () subverted org>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:16:02 -0700

Vlatko Kosturjak wrote:
I think this idea is very cool, and I notice your NSE script seems to be based
on a Nessus script[1].  I just want to make sure there are no copyright issues
here, since your script seems to have more in common than just the idea (MD5s
and names for the first six look like verbatim copies).  Correct me if I'm
wrong, but I don't see even a mention of this in your email or script.
This also exists in a Nikto database. That stated, it's still cool as an NSE script.
http://www.cirt.net/nikto/UPDATES/2.03/db_favicon

Too bad that license of this favicon database is not permissive enough:
"This file may not be used with any software product without written
permission from CIRT, Inc."
Maybe they are willing to contribute it to nmap?

I'd say it is likely, though it is probably unecessary.

But, if it's issue to use even MD5 db from OpenVAS we can rebuild the db
ourselves on the mailing list (with help from other people who use some
of these products). As I don't see any other problem beside MD5 sigs
(which I see everbody have). Implementation is mine, Idea is general and
already in multiple products: Nessus, OpenVAS, Nikto, etc...

Agreed. Certainly the "idea" of having a hash database for favicons is a reusable one, and there are certainly lots
more web servers
that could be added to the list.

Dave